Monday, September 19, 2011

Silence.

You may have noticed, if you're particularly observant, that there has been nothing aside from scheduled posts, for a while now.

I've been silent.

My whole life, I have wondered at the tradition known as "a moment of silence."  It always seemed awkward, it seemed unnatural and unhelpful.

Then one of the Better Men... No, one of the BEST Men... threw off his chains and hurts and went to heaven.  It was unexpected, to say the very least.  It was tragic.  It was heartbreaking.  I wanted so badly to talk about it here, but... for once, I understood the silence.  There are not words.  What do you say about a man who is being buried not many years after his son, not many years after his granddaughter?  Do you rejoice because Jim and Roy and Natalie are together?  Do you rejoice because he has children and grandchildren there who never took a breath on this earth, and now he can know them?  Do you rejoice because He is home and he is whole?

Yes.

And for so many... you mourn.  Not for him.  But for those who have the task of learning how to live now.  How to exist in a world where he... isn't.  For the memories that won't be made. 

My heart hurts so much, for so many...
For his mother.

For his wife Rachel.

For his children and their spouses:
Eric and Toni, and their children Ethan, Katie, Emily, and Amanda
Roger and Amber, and their sons Evan and Gunner
Karl and Iris, and their son Israel
Marilyn and Ivan, and their children Trevor, Nicole, Devin, Wyatt, and Keegan
Judith and Craig, and their sons Luke and Ryan

For Carmen, who was his son Roy's wife, and their children Austin, Angel, and Garrett

And for so, so many more.

But I confess... tonight, the person on my heart the most is his youngest daughter, Judith.  She is kind, and genuine, and has ready and quick smile, just like her daddy.  Sparkling green eyes and a passion for her God and for her children.  Gentle and humble. 

It's not that Judith is the only one hurting... it's just that she is the one most like me.  The one whose pain I can understand the best. 

This song is for her.  Because my words are all used up, and I need some time in silence.


Daddy Hung The Moon
~Jeff and Sheri Easter

We made the perfect pair
The best of friends
Daddy and me
I'd be walking on air
Every time he'd smile
And say he was proud of me
We said our prayers
He'd tuck me in then
I'd look in his eyes
I knew his love could fill an ocean
And light up an endless sky

Daddy hung the moon
Out-shined the stars
Put a song inside my heart
Daddy hung the moon
Oh I know it must be true
His smile could light the world
Of this green-eyed daddy's girl
God may have made the stars
But daddy hung the moon

His favorite words were
"I love you"
He always said
There was nothing I couldn't do
There's a world of hurt out there
Little boys and girls
Who've never known love like I do
If I had one wish
I'd wish to make it right
Oh I'd give them all a daddy
And make him just like mine

Cause daddy hung the moon
Out-shined the stars
Placed a song inside my heart
Daddy hung the moon
Oh I know it must be true
His smile could light the world
Of this green-eyed daddy's girl

God made the world
In seven days
The sun to shine and the clouds for rain
But when He made the sky
He saved one part for a little girl
Who knew in her heart

Daddy hung the moon
Out-shined the stars
Placed a song inside my heart
Daddy hung the moon
Oh I know must be true
His smile still lights my world
And I'm still my daddy's girl.
God may have made the stars
But daddy hung the moon

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: