Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's About Honor

The thing that's in me tonight, the thing that's weighing on me (well, the thing other than tomorrow) is honor. 
You see, the BIble tells us to honor the Word of God.
Look at Matthew 7:6 with me:

Don't be flip with the sacred. Banter and silliness give no honor to God. DOn't reduce holy mysteries to slogans. In trying to be relevant, you're only being cute and inviting sacrilege.

This refers to honoring the Word of GOd. Yes, there are some very popular slogans, acronymns, and other "catch phrases" that have driven home certain points to many of us. But truthfully, if we consider what the Word of God really is... we can't be doing that. It is holy. It is without flaw. The Word of God truly is the word of God. Creator of everything, savior, omnipotent, every present, never changing, never failing GOD. Is it really showing honor to run around with our cute phrases? This verse challenged me when I read it tonight. Not because I struggle with it, but because I do exactly what it says not to do.
I invent little phrases. Make up rhymes, come up with slogans, figure out acronymns. That in itself isn't showing honor, but it gets worse. After I dishonor the WOrd with my petty little things, I try to apply those things to my life. And it never, ever works. Why not? 
Read Isaiah 55:8-11 with me:
"I don't think the way you think. The way you work isn't the way I work." God's Decree. "For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think. Just as rain and snow descend from the skies and don't go back until they've watered the earth, doing their work of making things grow and blossom, producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry, so will the words that come out of my mouth not come back empty-handed."
I read this, and I see that God's Word will not return void. Or, as it is phrased here in the Message translation, I see that it will not go back to God empty-handed.

Something that is incapable of failing deserves honor, don't you think?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: