Saturday, August 18, 2012

Your Walk Talks

Growing up, I had an outstanding youth group leader, Mr. Jay.  He had this way about him... we played games and went hiking and had adventures, and we also would sit in the study at the church and discuss the really deep issues in life.  He took a group of kids who would never have been a group by choice, and knitted us together into something beautiful.

One of the things he used to say was this:

"Your walk talks, and your talk talks, but your walk talks louder than your talk talks."

In other words... yeah, what you say matters.  It gets through to people.  But not to nearly the degree that what you DO gets through.

I was laying on the couch this afternoon thinking, and that's what kept coming back to mind.  I know for me personally, my walk and my talk don't always line up.  I send mixed messages, even though I'd rather not. 

What areas of your life do you need to examine and sort out?  What things do you need to answer once and for all, so that your walk and your talk are saying the same thing?  Just one little phrase that stuck in my head (and I'd bet lots of other teenagers heard him say it and let it stick in their heads too), that gets to me every time I let it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: