Friday, September 16, 2011

NICIAW - Dissociative Amnesia or Dissociative Disorder NOS

The name I use here is going to be "BlackFrog."

1. The illness I live with is: Dissociative Amnesia or Dissociative Disorder NOS (not otherwise specified). But, have had several diagnoses over the years.

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2011

3. But I had symptoms since: at least since 1979

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Accepting the latest diagnosis and dealing with what caused it.

5. Most people assume: That I'm too healthy to be that - I function too well.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Getting motivated to live and do the basic parts of living.

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don't watch any.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: Anything that plays music

9. The hardest part about nights are: Getting proper sleep

10. Each day I take _0_ pills & vitamins. (No comments, please)

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: Am open to any that may pass my way.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Invisible.

13. Regarding working and career: I am considered permanently disabled by the federal government, but am a stay-at-home mom.

14. People would be surprised to know: How well I can pretend to be okay.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: Is that it was caused by what my father did to me.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Survive this long.

17. The commercials about my illness: don't exist.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Being clueless as to why I am the way I am.

19. It was really hard to have to give up: the concept that my mental health problems were organic.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: N/A

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Take my children and go do the fun, normal things families do together.

22. My illness has taught me: How much damage the brain can do to itself just to protect itself.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: When they tell me that the things I can remember are wrong. They tell me because I cannot remember so much, that I twist the memories I do have into pure fiction.

24. But I love it when people: Accept me as I am.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "A child who can count to 5, sees infinity in a dozen eggs."

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Be who you are... no label changes who you are.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How little people believe that I'm capable of having a bad day.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Compose an entire music album about my struggles.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I was openly invited to and maybe someone will hear us.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Like you already know... or you're willing to learn. That makes you beautiful.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: