Saturday, December 6, 2008

Rescue Me.

I am rescue-hungry. I like to be rescued. Not the in-trouble-and-can't-get-out part. The someone sweeping in to save me part. That is the part I like. I looked the word up in a dictionary. Actually, I went to http://www.dictionary.com/ and looked it up. The first definition? "To free or deliver from confinement, violence, danger, or evil." That is what I am hungry for. Someone to come in and free me from the evil in my life. Someone to break the confinement of my sorrow. Someone to deliver me from the danger of my sin and the violence of my anger. I am rescue-hungry.


Like many kids, I used to dream of being rescued. I imagined my rescuer - handsome, strong, noble, gentle. I imagined he'd make all that was wrong, right. I pictured him carrying me far from anything that would harm me. I imagined that my life would be permanently changed by this rescue.


Now, I'm no longer a child. I am "grown up." I've conceived and said good bye to children of my own. I've married. I've lived. I've loved. I've laughed. I've experienced joy unspeakable and sorrow so intense I thought I would die. And I still long to be rescued.


But you know what? I have already been rescued. By one who came unobtrusively. Quietly. Meekly. Gently. Into this world. In the dark of night, in a little town called Bethlehem. More than 2,000 years ago. This rescue shook the world, changed history. But more importantly, He rescued me. He delivered me from the confinement of time when He gave me eternity. He delivered me from the violence of Hell, when He died for my sins and rose again. He freed me from the danger of an eternity alone, without Him. He shattered the grip that evil had over me. I've been rescued. And I am in love with my rescuer. I revere Him. Honor Him. Worship Him. Serve Him. And I thank Him.

Romans 1:16-17
It's news I'm most proud to proclaim, this extraordinary Message of God's powerful plan to rescue everyone who trusts Him, starting with the Jews and then right on to everyone else! God's way of putting people right shows up in the acts of faith, confirming what Scripture has said all along: "The person in right standing before God by trusting Him really lives."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: