Thursday, April 21, 2011

Driving Home

The other night was a "tough" night for me.  You know how sometimes, things just pile up inside and you feel like you're going to explode (emotionally)?  Well, whether you can relate or not, that's what it was.  I went to Martial Arts class, and that helped but only a little.  So after, I stayed.  I kicked, and kicked, and kicked.  My leg gave out in front of everyone still there, and it was really embarrassing.  But I got up and kicked some more.  Then I did forms and quizzed Derek about everything I could think of related to Martial Arts at the same time.  And then he left and I finished something on the computer there for my instructor.  And then I talked with him a while, and it ended up getting late. 

And then I drove home.  Usually, when you're half way through the month of April, a week after 60 degree weather that included tornado warnings and vicious thunderstorms, you don't expect snow.  But snow we had, and a fair bit.  Enough that NOBODY was on the road as I drove home.  Solitude.  I turned the brightness almost all the way down on my display lights, used only low beams as the world was glowing from the fresh snow, and drove in wonder.

If you've read here for long, you know tears don't come easy.  But that night... tears came.  It was that beautiful.  Still.  Perfectly serene.

I think that must be what it was like when Silent Night was written.  So beautiful that a timeless song could be written about it.

And I thanked my God, with tears in my eyes and voice failing me, for the beauty.  For the peace.  For the gentle whisper "I will will never leave or forsake you."

For my God is with me always, even to the end of the age.  And it's actually really, really easy to know that on a night like that.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Ri said...

my dear jenn
i love the beauty of freshly fallen, untouched snow at night, too. very much so. i'm glad you had that moment of peace and beauty when you needed it. <3
love, ri