Monday, September 10, 2012

NICIAW - Bipolar II and PTSD

Emily writes:

1. The illness I live with is: Bipolar II and PTSD

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2002 (and PTSD again dx in 2006 after knee injury)

3. But I had symptoms since: 1985ish

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Unsure of how to respond to this

5. Most people assume: I'm normal, until they see it on paper, then assume I'm insane and should be locked away

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Waking up

7. My favorite medical TV show is: (used to be) ER

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: vibrator (yep--no men in this girl's life! ha ha) and Android phone

9. The hardest part about nights are: shutting off my mind to go to sleep

10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins. (No comments, please) 4 RX and 2 OTC

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have VERY recently started to do chiropractic and massage therapy (big hurdle letting people touch me!!)

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Visible: The general public seems to be okay with broken limbs, but not broken hearts or minds.

13. Regarding working and career: I get through

14. People would be surprised to know: They know pretty much all of it -- I have AMAZING coworkers and a great support system Monday-Friday!

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: It's not new, been dealing for quite a while

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: go into public without panic attacks

17. The commercials about my illness: ARE there commercials!?

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: n/a

19. It was really hard to have to give up: NOT trusting people (I'm working on it!)

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: being more social... not so much a "hobby" per say, but trying to get out and do more things in general

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Pee my pants with excitement

22. My illness has taught me: how to be stronger and that I am more of a fighter than I ever thought I was

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: oh there are too many to list!

24. But I love it when people: Go out of their way to help others, big or small

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” ~Marilyn Monroe

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Never been in that position

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: how close-minded SO many people are

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: my sister got me groceries so I didn't have to go out and deal with the world

29. I'm involved with Invisible Illness Week because: Jenn asked me to be

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: a little less alone

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: