Tuesday, September 13, 2011

NICIAW - PTSD/Depression

This was submitted by Kay:

1. The illnesses I live with are: PTSD and Depression

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2008

3. But I have had symptoms since: 1974

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: realizing I have a disability

5. Most people assume: I am normal with a few quirks

6. The hardest part about mornings are: fighting with a huge amount of anxiety

7. My favorite medical TV show is: House

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my coffee maker

9. The hardest part about nights are: sleeplessness and anxiety

10. Each day I take 3 pills & vitamins. (No comments, please)

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have done massage, reiki, acupuncture, and lots of others

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: visible

13. Regarding working and career: it is very scary to think about it as I am often unable to cope with a regular schedule

14. People would be surprised to know: how hard I have to work to maintain a normal lifestyle

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: how much my disability affects every single aspect of my life

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: travel by myself

17. The commercials about my illness: I've never seen one for PTSD

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: living without fear

19. It was really hard to have to give up: living without medications

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: playing music

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: I have no idea. I can't imagine what that would be like.

22. My illness has taught me: that I have to take care of myself first

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: even the tiniest amount of stress

24. But I love it when people: are gentle with one another

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: This too shall pass.

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Hang in there, it can get better.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: That others can be so unaware and so cruel sometimes

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: take care of me regardless

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: It is so hard to live with an illness that others don't see or know about. Having to try and live a "normal" life when you are really messed up is so difficult and most people have no idea.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: glad to know that you know more about it and maybe will have more compassion for others that you meet with this illness

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: