Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ka-pum Ka-pum Ka-pum...

That's what my heart's doing right now. Probably Derek's too. The hearts inside our four furry kids' chests are also beating with more... enthusiasm... than they normally would.

What's that? You want to know why?

I'll tell you. Tonight (or last night) was a night of insomnia. I am not sure I ever actually DID fall asleep... at least not that deep, relaxing, restorative sleep. But that's a whole other post for a whole other day. Or maybe for no day. Whatever. Either way... I was finally starting to dose, when I heart the pitter-patter of little feet. Not human ones. Soft, feline ones. Then the unmistakable staccato of a bat. Not a hunting, flying, happy bat. An angry, cornered, scared bat. I sat up, bleary eyed, and looked. All four cats were wildly bouncing around one small, brown, furry object. With wings.

I woke my husband. This was a two person job. I threw a shirt over said bat, to subdue and calm it (most wild animals feel much better about life in general if you put a heavy-ish object over them which also completely obstructs their view). I started tossing cats out the door. My beloved Furbis, the 15 pound epitome of catness, bit my arm. Hard. It hurts. I'll probably call about getting some antibiotics for it just to be safe - I've got to punctures that are very deep, a couple more not quite so deep, and one that just barely broke the skin. Experience says that cat bites don't generally fare well, though.

So yeah. I'm STILL awake. It's been one of those nights. And now, once things start opening up, I need to make some calls. One regarding antibiotics. One regarding procedure for the bat - do we get it tested? By whom? (Right now, it's in an ice cream bucket with a lid. On our patio. I'm not feeling charitable towards it). If my cat, who IS vaccinated against rabies, happened to have bitten said bat before I removed said cat from the room, and then bit me, can that transmit it to me (after all, I have not gotten a rabies vaccine for myself, since I tend not to lick wild animals)? One of those questions I wish I had the ability to ask my doctor. Who, by the way, still needs your prayers. (Go back a little ways, to the entry where I talk about Jim).

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: